Both IBM Lotus Notes and Microsoft Outlook are widely used, email clients. The NSF file stands for (Notes Storage Facility), which is the IBM Lotus No
Both IBM Lotus Notes and Microsoft Outlook are widely used, email clients. The NSF file stands for (Notes Storage Facility), which is the IBM Lotus Notes data repository. Furthermore, Microsoft Outlook used the file extension PST (Personal storage table) to save Outlook data. Due to market trends and growing business requirements, IBM Lotus Notes users look for a do-it-yourself solution to convert NSF files to PST files.
In this technical guide, users will find two different methods for migrating from IBM Notes to Microsoft Outlook. Before we get into the methods, let’s take a look at the reasons why users insist on converting NSF files to PST file formats.
The Benefits of Converting NSF Files to PST Files
You can convert Lotus Notes to Outlook if you want to. There are several reasons why users might want to convert their NSF files, and a few of them are listed below:
- Outlook is more useful than Lotus Notes.
- Lotus Notes requires more maintenance than Outlook.
- Users can configure multiple accounts in the MS Outlook application at the same time.
- Outlook emails can be accessed offline, whereas Lotus Notes emails cannot be accessed offline.
- When compared to Lotus Notes, novice users can easily access Outlook.
- Microsoft Outlook has more security features than Lotus Notes.
All of the aforementioned reasons demand that users convert NSF files to PST files using the best method available. Let’s start with the various methods for converting NSF files to PST.
How do Manually Convert Notes NSF to PST?
As previously stated, there are numerous reasons for users to convert NSF to PST file format. Because of the different file formats, NSF files cannot be accessed directly in Outlook. So, in the manual method described below, we converted the NSF file to CSV and then imported it into the Outlook application. We divided the process into two parts and followed the steps in the correct order in each.
Part 1: Converting NSF Files to CSV
If you want to export NSF files to CSV format, follow the steps below exactly.
- Navigate to the File tab in the IBM Lotus Notes application on your system.
- Under the File menu, select the Open option.
- Expand the open option and then choose the IBM Notes application.
- Then, select the NSF file by clicking the Browse button.
- Next, select the NSF file and press the Select button.
- Then, from within the open application wizard, click the Open button.
- Click the File tab once more and select the Export option.
- Enter the file name and select Comma separated value as the saving type.
You successfully exported the NSF files into CSV format in the preceding section. Now, in the following section, you must import that CSV file into Outlook in order to successfully convert NSF files to PST files.
Part 2: Import a CSV file into an Outlook PST file.
In this section, you must import the previously exported CSV file into Outlook PST format. Carefully follow the steps outlined below.
- Launch the Outlook desktop application on your system or PC.
- Go to the File tab and then to the Open & Export tab.
- To import the CSV file into Outlook, click the Import/Export icon.
- Select Import from another program in the Import and Export wizard and press the Next button.
- Then, choose the Comma-separated values option and press the Next button.
- Select the CSV file by clicking the Browse button and then click the Ok button.
- Then, for the next step, press the Next button.
- Finally, select the CSV file’s destination path and press the Next button.
- Finally, select the appropriate checkbox and click the Finish button.
You can convert your CSV file to PST format using the method described above. However, the process is not straightforward, but it can assist you in converting NSF files to PST files. Furthermore, the methods described above have some limitations, which we have listed below:
- The procedure is lengthy and requires more effort and time from the users.
- The above manual method does not directly convert the NSF file to PST.
- It is a difficult process for inexperienced users because the above process requires technical expertise.
- Users may occasionally fail to convert all of their data.
- The NSF file is corrupted as a result.
- There is a possibility of human error.
Users are looking for an alternative solution to convert NSF files to PST files in order to overcome the limitations listed above. Now, in the following section, we have provided an expert solution for the NSF converter.
Expert Solution for Converting NSF Mailboxes to Outlook PST Files
WholeClear NSF to PST Converter is a versatile application that converts NSF files to PST format, including all attachments. Users can migrate their Lotus Notes to the Outlook platform without losing any data. Furthermore, the software can convert NSF files into a variety of file formats and email clients. Aside from that, the software can effortlessly convert encrypted NSF files to PST format.
- It enables users to convert NSF files into various file formats and email clients.
- This utility converts NSF to PST in a single operation.
- Capable of removing Lotus Notes NSF file encryption prior to migration.
- Users have the option to exclude all folders from the NSF to PST conversion.
- The software includes an HTML formatting option for converting HTML-based NSF files.
In summary, this guide summarizes the two methods for converting NSF files to PST files. We have discussed the various reasons for the conversion of IBM Lotus Notes NSF files to Microsoft Outlook data files. The manual solution is described by utilizing Outlook’s Import/Export feature. However, this could be a technical and time-consuming process. To get around this, users can use the NSF to PST Converter online for quick and secure NSF file conversion. Users can also test the software’s functionality by downloading the free NSF to PST Converter demo version.