The JPEG (pronounced “jay-peg”) image format is the most widely used on the Internet, allowing photographers and graphic designers to send high-quality images. The JPEG standard, developed by the Joint Photographic Experts Group, was initially published in 1992, providing the foundation for transmitting photographs today.
It’s crucial to know how to reduce the size of a JPEG, especially if you’re sending one via email or social media. As a result, the image will have more pixels with a better quality, which will enhance detail that will be most evident when viewed at full size. This, however, increases the file size, which might be an issue when writing web-friendly content.
A resolution of around 70 pixels per inch is sufficient for most digital needs. It’s crucial to evaluate how the image will be used before settling on file size. There’s no use in wasting storage space by uploading a high-resolution file to the web if the image is displayed only as a thumbnail. We’ve explained how to reduce the size of a JPEG in the sections below.
Using Microsoft Paint to Reduce Image Size-
Because Microsoft Paint is integrated with every Windows system, it’s a quick and easy way to reduce the size of your image files.Microsoft Paint also includes basic graphic editing tools and the ability to open and save images in a variety of common formats.
To quickly minimize the size of your JPEG, follow the instructions below.
- Right-click the image you want to resize and choose Edit from the menu. This will open Paint with your image.
- Select Resize under the Home tab.
- Select the Maintain aspect ratio checkbox in the Resize and Skew dialogue box. This ensures that the enlarged image has the same aspect ratio as the original.
- You only need to enter the horizontal value (width) or vertical value (height) if the Maintain aspect ratio checkbox is ticked (height). The other resize area box is automatically updated.
- Choose whether you want to reduce the size of your image by percentage or by pixels.
- To reduce the width in the Horizontal box, enter a percentage or pixel number, and to reduce the height in the Vertical box, provide a percentage or pixel value.
- Click OK.
- Choose file> Save As from the File menu. For your image, choose a file format.
- Select Save after entering a filename.
How to Reduce the Size of an Image Using Preview
Preview is included with every Mac running OS X or newer. Preview is a system that lets you see images and PDFs. It can modify picture formats as well as view and print them.
It’s a simple and quick method of shrinking your image. To resize your image using Preview, follow the steps below.
- By running Preview from the Applications folder, you may view the image. You can also hold down Ctrl when selecting the image and then pick Open > Preview.
- Select Adjust Size from the Tools menu on the menu bar.
- Select whether you want the adjustments to be made by Percent or Size in the Image Dimensions popup box.
- Adjust the width and height, as well as the resolution. The Resulting Size section will inform you how big your new file will be if you modify these values.
- You’ll be able to view how the scaled image looks by clicking OK.
- To make a new copy of your JPEG, go to file> Save As.
- Click Save after giving your image a filename.
How to Use a Photo & Picture Resizer to Reduce Image Size
Photo & Picture Resizer is an excellent solution for fast resizing photos on your Android device. This app makes it simple to minimise image size without sacrificing quality. In addition, you won’t have to save resized images manually because they’ll be saved in a separate folder for you.
- On your device, download and install the Photo & Picture Resizer app.
- Use the Select photographs button to open an image or the Take a photo button to take a picture.
- Choose one or more photos that you’d like to resize.
- In the Select dimensions window, choose one of the dimension options. You have the option of selecting Custom, although it is recommended that you use one of the recommended dimension adjustments.
- Your newly resized images are saved to your Pictures/PhotoResizer folder automatically. In addition, you can now choose whether to email or share your image on one of several web platforms.
How to Use the Image Size App to Reduce Image Size
You may use the Image Size app to resize an image to any size you like. Pixels, millimetres, centimetres, and inches can all be used to determine the output format. It also allows you to keep your image’s aspect ratio if necessary. You have the choice of storing, emailing, printing, or sharing the finished image with this app.
To begin resizing photos on your iOS device, follow the steps below.
- On your device, download and install the Image Size app.
- Use the Gallery icon to open an image or the Camera icon to take a photo.
- To confirm your image selection, select Choose.
- In the Width and Height boxes, specify the output size you want.
- Select the Chain option between Width and Height to keep your aspect ratio. You can also adjust the units of measurement to meet your needs. The original and modified sizes of the image are displayed below the image.
- Once you’ve established the proper image size, you may choose to Save, Print, Send or Share your image.
Regardless of your platform or device, you now have numerous quick and easy ways to resize your photos for emailing or uploading. Depending on your workflow and platforms, each solution offers its own set of benefits. So choose the best option for your needs, and start sharing your photos!